Jan 5, 2006

Slip ... Thunk !!!

Slip ... Thunk !!

"We already fell down twice" said the guy helping me up.

...

It was a nice day. After a couple of days of rains and overcast skies, the sun finally showed its face. Oblivious to the change in the weather I was as usual sleeping late. Finally got up at 11am, and seing the weather planned on going to Dhanaulti.

Let home around 11:00 AM on Tweety. After servicing ( which included chaning the air filter) , she was warbelling prettily, and off I went. First stop to dehradun to fuel up and then to the hills of Mussorie.

This was the first time I was attacking the curves solo. First time was with my cousin, second time with Jas, third time with my sister. Fourth time lucky.

Roads were empty, and the bike was willing. Turn after turn we raced up the hillside. A streak of yellow enjoying the sunshine.

Roads

We took the turn towards dhanaulti ... just follow the red railing. The road changed .. so did the scenery. Far in the distant the snow capped mountains rose up majestically. Time for some photography.


Road to Dhanaulti

Tweety and the Mountains

Up Close - the power of Zoom

Passed a WagonR. The family no doubt out to enjoy the weather. Kids were runnind towards a slight depression where there was some snow around a lake. "hmmm" I thought. "The water is not frozen. Its not that cold".

And time passed by till I reached the Tehri-Gharwal border. Took a few pics. Snow by the roadside ... people enjoying the snow. Slush on the road. I need to be careful now I think. The jeep in front of me brakes. I brake. The bike does not.

slip... Thunk!!

"We already fell down twice" said a guy helping me up and pointing to his and his friends bike just ahead of me. "are you hurt ?"

I got up gingerly... and the first thing I noticed - the ground was not slush. It was not soft. It was hard ... and slippery. Black Ice ???

No Further

The whole road was one ice skating place. Keeping my feet from moving around wasn't easy. Somehow with the help of the guys got the bike upright, and put it on the main stand.

Thunk ... the guy's bike had fallen again. Helped them up. The entire curve was parked with bikes. Apparently everyone had come till this point and slipped. No one was taking their bikes further , though they were slipping and sliding walking onwards to the snow filled hillside, throwing snowballs at each other.

Me ? I decided to turn back. I needed to be back in Dehradun by 6 to meet Varun and Deepak - guys who had just joined BN and with a dream to tour India in a couple of months time.

Funny, the return journey takes less time. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Be careful till we get antislip (on snow) tyres and abs on bikes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think AnitSlip tyres are more needed than ABS.

    ReplyDelete