Feb 23, 2019

Movie review : Gully Boy

 
Oh boy ! This movie lives up to the Hype !

I usually don't watch movies in halls, leave alone write about them. But this movie. It is so different from the usual riffraff that it was refreshing ! I don't know if everyone will like it, but I think everyone will agree with the sentiment "Apna Time Ayega".

I also see some places where it is being compared to Rang De Basanti - and I kind of know where they are coming from - as it is about being a rebel and following your dreams. But while RDB left you sad and thoughtful, this leaves you happy and thoughtful. It's an inspiring film.

Not everyone is into Rap/HipHop. But the main story line is so well written and the direction/editing is top notch. Every character is a study in itself - too many movies just concentrate on the main hero. But here there are so memorable characters that if I had to decide on who was the best actor, I would go crazy. Although the story is around Ranbir (Murad) taking away any one character would make holes in the film. Even his grandmother - though a very minuscule role - fits in so well, that to think of the movie without her is unthinkable.

The movie is based on the lives of real rap artists Naved Shaikh (Naezy) and Vivian Fernandes (Divine). So, after the movie I had to look up about the movie and it was an eye opener:
- All other rappers during the battle scenes are real rappers from the Indian Rap World and not actors.
- Film was shot in slum areas of Dharavi in Mumbai where a huge set of slum was erected on an open ground.
- Divine makes an appearance in the song Apna Time Aaega in the climax.

I really don't know about the underground Rap scene in Mumbai or India, but I am so happy to see Indian films which take a diversion from the usual love stories (though of course there is a love element - but that feels to natural that you don't think about it much).

Final words: A must watch, even if you are tone deaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment