Jan 25, 2021

Running Ubuntu Touch on a Nexus 5

Its Alive ! 


I finally managed to get Ubuntu installed in an old Nexus 5. This phone is 7+ years old I believe. 

I was initially trying to get it running on a nexus 6p, but that did not work. Finally dug up this old phone a few days back and tried it. And now it works ! 

The software you need is UBports. Ideally you just run Ubports and it should guide you through the installation of ubuntu touch. However, I ran into a few issues. So you may want to do the following steps: 

Issue #1 : USB cable was not good enough. The old micro usb cables were not detecting the mobile. Tried it on a linux system and a windows system. After searching online, got to know that cable could cause issues, so bought a new one. 

Issue #2 : With the new cable, the device was being detected on linux but not on the windows laptop. I could have used the linux device, but that is an arm based one, and there was no ubports ARM port that I was aware of. After searching online for a few options, I found that the usb driver needs to be updated. See this post on the UBports forum : https://forums.ubports.com/topic/2832/mtp-access-to-nexus-5-from-windows-10-pc/4

Simple steps:

For future reference I will list the different steps :

  1. Open Device Manager, fold out "Android Phone"
  2. Right click item "Google Nexus ADB Interface"
  3. Select "Update Driver" on Driver tab
  4. Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
  5. Select "Let me pick from a list of available drivers from my computer"
  6. Assure "Show compatible hardware" is checked and select "USB Composite Device" (I'm inclined to believe previously only "Google Nexus ADB Interface" was available, and the new device might have come along with earlier installation of the ClockworkMod ADB driver).
  7. Select Next, wait for driver installation and close.
  8. The device auto-mounts immediately!!!

After this, just run the UBports software. 

Issue #3 : It will probably not detect the nexus device even though you have done the above steps. It did not for me and from what I saw on forums, it does not for many others. So, just select the device manually from the download list. And go ahead. 

 If everything is fine so far, you will see the bootloader installing message and the device will be booted into the UBports bootloader and the installation will progress. 

 Be Patient. 

 It can take a few mins to install everything. Just go and have a tea or coffee. Do not unplug the device.

And its done ! 

 Note: Before you try anything make sure your device is in the supported devices list

 

 



1 comment: