Feb 6, 2022

Gaming on the Mac M1 vs Intel Iris

A lot of ink has gone in to how the new Mac (with Apple's homegrown M1 chip) has changed the game and also how Intel has been fighting back. 

Being a gamer, I am always looking at what next to run the games on ? Can we run games on linux ? Can we run games on linux running off a usb (no install on the pc) ? Can we play games for real on the M1 macs or it that just good marketing. 

My main gaming laptop is with a dedicated GPU, but many games I have are a bit old and so I was checking what can run on the non-GPU laptops. I also have access to the macbook (M1) and an intel based laptop (i7 1185G7). I looked at what games can run on both the platforms and also what resolution to run them in. Due to differences in the native resolution on both the devices, I had to set up a common resolution which comes out to be 1440x900 available on both. Also for the M1 I switched off the retina (2x) display. 

Following are my results. These were quite surprising for me. Intel has really upped the game and I look forward to seeing better chips from them. 

The FPS ( frames per sec) you see below are from the steam overlay.


Mac (M1)

Win (intel iris)

Crusader Kings 3 ( 1440x900 - Medium)

26

60

Pathfinder Kingmaker ( 1440x900 - High)

50

35

Tyranny ( 1440 x 900 )

56

60

Path of Exile (Oriath Docks)

60

50


Looks like Intel has caught up a lot in terms of graphics performance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment